When a car hits a person on a bicycle, it can be a terrifying experience that leaves the cyclist with serious and potentially fatal injuries. If the driver's negligence caused the collision, the cyclist has the right to claim compensation for the damage suffered.
Insurance companies are often hostile to bicycle accident claims. They often try to blame the cyclist for the accident. This is one of the many reasons why it is crucial for an injured cyclist to get help from an experienced bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible after an accident.
Contact Our inPlano Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Opersonal injury attorney planofTate Law Offices, P.C., are committed to protecting the rights of bicyclists in Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, and throughout Texas. We are ready to work for you immediately.
Call your local office orreach-us onlinetoday to speak with an experienced bicycle accident attorney.
You will receive a free evaluation of your case. And there are never charges unless we win your agreement.
What should you do after a flat bike accident?
Tate Law Offices, P.C., can provide a free consultation. We may use this inquiry to learn more about your case and answer any questions you may have about your legal rights and options. As you prepare to meet with us, you should do the following:
- see a doctor– If you have not already gone to the emergency room or seen your primary care doctor, do so without delay. In some cases, you may think that your bicycle accident has left you with only minor cuts, aches and pains. However, these could be signs of serious injuries, such as brain injury, soft tissue damage, or internal organ damage. The sooner you receive medical attention, the better, for your health and for your case.
- Gather and save everything.– Do not throw away or repair your bicycle, helmet or any equipment that you were using on the day of the accident. Save any photos you have taken of the accident scene and/or of your injuries. Save the names and contact information of eyewitnesses. Also, keep all medical records, bills, or insurance letters related to your case.
- police report– If you have a copy of the police report about your accident, we would like to review it. You can contact the local law enforcement agency that prepared the accident report or go to the Texas Department of Transportation.online shopping site. This report can play an important role in the investigation of your case. If you do not have a copy of the report, we will be happy to obtain the report for you.
- Do not give a recorded statement or accept a settlement offer– If you have to report your bicycle accident to your own insurance company, do so within the required time frame; however, we prefer that you speak with us before doing so. You do not need to talk to any other party's insurer. In fact, anything you say can and probably will be used against you. Never give a recorded statement to an insurer or accept a settlement offer from the insurer unless you have spoken to a lawyer first.
- call a lawyer- More important,contact Tate Law Offices, P.C.Our consultation is free and we may have some good ideas about how your case should be handled. We can negotiate with insurers for you and ensure that your rights are protected. We can also immediately get to work investigating your bicycle accident case and seeking the compensation you deserve.
How can a lawyer investigate your bicycle accident?
When Tate Law Offices, PC takes up your case, we will work hard to determine why the bicycle accident occurred and who should be liable for your physical, mental, and financial damage.
As we have seen, bicycle accidents are often caused by the reckless or reckless conduct of drivers. Although more people today use bicycles to get to school or work, as well as for fun, many drivers in Plano and other areas of Texas do not respect the rights and safety of bicyclists or simply do not see the bicyclist.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Plano, TX
Car-bicycle collisions are often caused by:
- dangerous step– A driver may not leave a safe space between the vehicle and the bicycle. In turn, the vehicle may strike the bicyclist or run him off the road. In some cases, a driver may intentionally “ring” a bicyclist.
- left cross– When the driver and bicyclist approach an intersection, the driver may not yield the right-of-way and turn left into the bicyclist's path.
- right hook– A driver may turn right or change lanes into the path of a cyclist going in the same direction. The accident could be attributed to the driver not using a turn signal or not checking mirrors and blind spots before turning.
- Porta– Too often, cyclists are harmed by drivers who open the door of their parked vehicle in the path of cyclists.
- Backup– Motorists frequently pull their cars out of their driveway and cross the sidewalk or area of the street where a bicyclist was riding. They also tend to drive out of commercial parking spaces and into the path of the cyclist.
Ultimately, the underlying cause ofCar accidentit could be the fact that the driver was speeding, distracted while driving, excessively tired, not paying attention to blind spots, or impaired by alcohol or drugs.
Our investigative team at Tate Law Offices, P.C., can study the police report, photos, witness statements, surveillance camera footage, cell phone records, and physical evidence at the accident scene to determine the cause of your accident. We can also consult accident reconstruction experts to determine why the accident occurred.
Compensation After a Plano Bicycle Accident
A bicycle accident can result in devastating injuries, regardless of whether the cyclist is wearing protective gear such as a helmet. These injuries can include cuts, friction burns, broken ribs and other fractures, spinal cord damage, and traumatic brain injuries.
Types of Damages After a Bicycle Accident in Plano, Texas
Tate Law Offices, P.C., will carefully prepare your case and seek the maximum financial recovery for your damages, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Loss of income and diminished ability to generate income in the future
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium and loss of services
- emotional suffering
- physical deficiency
We will use all available insurance coverage, including at-fault driver liability insurance, as well as any coverage you have purchased. For example, if you were injured by a hit-and-run driver, your losses may be covered by your uninsured motorist (UM) coverage.
Under Texas law, you may be denied recovery if you are found to be more than 50% at fault for the accident. Otherwise, your recovery may be reduced in proportion to your degree of guilt.
Tate Law Offices, PC will vigorously challenge any attempt by the insurance company to improperly blame you for your bicycle accident.
Contact our Plano bicycle accident lawyers at Tate Law Offices, P.C.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a bicycle accident caused by someone else's negligence, get help today from a bicycle accident attorney at Tate Law Offices, P.C.
We can settle many bicycle accident cases without the need to go to trial or even file a lawsuit. However, if your case does go to court, you can count on our experienced attorneys to fight for a high-value result for you. Our goal will always be to seek maximum value.
You can also count on Tate Law Offices, P.C., to keep you up to date throughout your case and always available to answer your questions.
To get started with a free consultation, call orconnect with us onlinetoday. Serving Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston. We can help in car accidents,truck accidents,motorcycle accidents,dog bites,workers compensation,involuntary manslaughter, is much more.
Sources / More information
- Texas Car Accident Statistics, Texas Department of Transportation
- Pedestrians and Cyclists, Insurance Institute for Road Safety
- Bicycle Related Injuries, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention